The geriatric psychiatry clinical services of the Weill Cornell Institute of Geriatric Psychiatry emphasize individually planned programs of care and rehabilitation therapy. Psychiatric, psychological, medical and neurological treatment are offered in supportive environments.
Continuum of Care
A range of psychiatric services is available in each of the following treatment settings:
The Psychiatry Practice for Older Adults
Specialized Services for Older Adults offer patients aged 60 and older treatment for geriatric mood disorders. Services include group therapy, brief psychotherapies, medication, and medication follow-up. Family consultation, assistance in obtaining social support services, and consultations with family physicians to coordinate the overall treatment plan are also available.
The Older Adult Partial Hospitalization Day Program is intended to avert or shorten hospitalization. This short-term program specializes in the rapid reduction of symptoms of psychiatric illnesses, and the reacquisition of social function.
The Older Adult Inpatient Program offers brief, intensive hospitalization for elderly psychiatric patients who have concurrent medical illness, disability or cognitive impairment.
Goals of Treatment
- To ameliorate psychiatric symptoms
- To enhance patients' living, work, social and leisure skills
- To assist patients in developing a sense of self-worth and well-being
Managed care plans, other insurance, Medicare, Medicaid and private pay are accepted.
For information regarding the Geriatric Psychiatry Services, please call the Evaluation and Referral Services at (914) 997-5700, or toll free at (888) 694-5700.
- Comprehensive diagnostic evaluation
- Individual therapy
- Group therapy, including behavioral and insight-oriented approaches, illness management, stress management, relapse prevention and individual psychotherapy
- Family interventions, including psychoeducation, counseling and support
- Pharmacotherapy, as indicated
- Electroconvulsive therapy, when appropriate
- Psychiatric medical coverage 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Ongoing communication and collaboration with referring clinicians
- Continuity of care and discharge planning
Treatment is provided by an integrated team of specialized geriatric psychiatrists, psychiatric nurses, social workers and therapeutic activities staff, as well as clinical psychologists, neuropsychologists, internists and neurologists.
Nationally recognized and funded as a center of research and clinical excellence, the Weill Cornell Institute of Geriatric Psychiatrycontinues to contribute original scientific knowledge that influences the practice of geriatric psychiatry.
A free hospital shuttle bus provides transportation between the Westchester campus and downtown White Plains.